SATX360 Newsletter | 2023: The Year of Winning Together
2023 will be known to the San Antonio region as the year of winning together and achieving the results we desire for our economy.
As part of our five-year strategy, we have successfully refocused and rebranded our organization, weathered and emerged from the global pandemic, asked our region to go All In to fund an ambitious new plan, and now, we are at the point where these investments further fuel our results. As of last year, we successfully fundraised 100% of our goal, which wouldn’t have been possible without the unwavering commitment of our investors and community partners.
Moving forward, here are some of the things we are focusing on in 2023:
- The Region: We will continue to showcase our economic development efforts across our 8-county MSA. With 14 regional partners and growing, we continue to make progress working regionally to win a variety of larger-scale projects.
- Talent Pipeline Management (TPM): Our workforce team is actively facilitating 5 regional collaboratives as part of our TPM initiative, a U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation program. TPM will help with supporting the growth of our local industries, working with employers in developing strategies to support their talent pipeline needs. We are already seeing real programs and training developed as part of our matured manufacturing and healthcare/bioscience industry collaboratives, and we look forward to sharing more direct outcomes this year.
- Air Service Development: Passenger air connectivity continues to be a driving consideration as companies evaluate markets for investment, relocation, and expansion. In 2022, we launched the air service development fund to support attracting new air service to San Antonio International Airport. Additionally, the City of San Antonio is making progress toward its $2.8B infrastructure enhancements at the airport (new terminal with 17 new gates and ground transportation center, parking garage, terminal road realignment, and runway enhancements). Our local team is headed overseas soon to continue moving this initiative further.
- Megasites: Our Economic Development team and key partners have identified five potential sites above 500 acres that San Antonio could develop into project-ready mega sites. The work continues to further prepare the sites and market them to companies and consultants nationally in need of these massive spaces for industrial development.
- National PR and Marketing: Our national brand campaign is running nationally to support greater awareness of our region by sharing why Life Works Greater in San Antonio℠. We continue to elevate our region’s brand in key markets where you will see new and interesting activations.
- Alamo Fellows: While we are focused on attracting talent through our brand campaign, our workforce team is also focused on how we retain talent here in San Antonio. Alamo Fellows will launch its second cohort this year, inviting more students to engage in the program that aims to our talented San Antonio-area college students grow roots and build careers here after graduation.
This year, we will recalibrate on our 5-year plan to continue on the track to deliver 30,000 new target industry jobs, $5 billion in capital investment and 50,000 new target industry degrees and certificates.
Keep your eye on the Greater SATX region. We are just getting started.
SA-ATX: The Next Connected Megaregion
In 2021, we formalized our Greater San Antonio regional economic strategy to align the coordinated efforts of our 8-County MSA. Beyond that, a large part of our 5-year strategy is centered on expanded regional collaboration as it relates to how we invest in our people and place to grow quality jobs.
How the San Antonio region invests in people and place is relevant to the full San Antonio-Austin, TX megaregion.
Investor Spotlight: Stream Realty
Stream Realty is changing the landscape of commercial real estate.
Learn more about how they keep people at the core of everything they do and their plans for ensuring the future of SATX flourishes across targeted industries.
Regional Highlight: Selma
The City of Selma was established in 1849 as a stagecoach stop to transport passengers and freight between South, Central, and East Texas. Today, it is one of America’s Fastest Growing Small Towns, and supports their diverse population with a high quality of life and immense opportunities for continued economic and population growth.
In the News
|San Antonio among top U.S. real estate markets to watch in 2023: The real estate market for the combined San Antonio and New Braunfels area is receiving national attention for being ranked as one of the top 10 markets to watch in 2023, according to an annual outlook report from the National Association of Realtors.|
|How a world-class building is fueling Texas’ high-tech workforce: The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) recently unveiled San Pedro I, a world-class facility that will usher in a new era of high-tech education, research and innovation in Texas.|
|Tracing the 50-year history of the San Antonio Spurs: As the San Antonio Spurs organization marks its 50th year, the team is putting on a celebration worthy of its first half-century — hosting an anniversary game in the Alamodome that’s on track to set a new NBA attendance record.|
|New study names San Antonio top Texas city for green space, beating out Austin: While Houston and El Paso were close behind SA, Austin didn’t even break the list’s top 20.|
|San Antonio’s H-E-B ranks as one of the most trusted grocery chains: Like the Grammys and the Oscars, awards are given out every year to supermarkets and grocery chains and San Antonio’s H-E-B always makes the rankings. Most recently, a survey listed the local chain as one of the most trusted grocery chains in the U.S.|
|James Beard Awards serves up semifinalist nods for 9 San Antonio-area chefs, brewery: The James Beard Awards is among the nation’s most prestigious honors, recognizing leaders’ talent and achievement in culinary arts. Finalist nominees will be announced on March 29. Winners will be honored at the James Beard Restaurant and Chef Awards Ceremony on June 5 at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.|
|Stay up-to-date with news from the region by subscribing to the News of the Day.|
Alamo Fellows is our latest workforce program, focused on supporting first-generation STEM students at our local 4-year institutions, with the goal of retaining talent in our community.
Hear from the students directly about how this program is impacting their career pathways already.
Sign up for the SATX360 Newsletter by subscribing here.